Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Soul of the City


Just my appreciation of music in it's finest hour. Marvin in my opinion changed the landscape of music. He's one of the most sampled musicians ever, was one of the first to be provocative as well. The whole talking over the track thing, he changed that too. He also wrote & produced most of his own. Just an all-around classic. You can feel his passion through his music.
Raheem is underrated as a musician. He's one of the best in the game right now, and his small body of work is already amongst the all-time greats to me. I'm just an advocate of timeless, truthful music. Raheem Devaughn does it with the best.
They both hail from the Nation's Capital, DC, my hometown. With all the stereotypes out here about dudes from my city; these types are overlooked. Their music can be political, provocative, catchy, sexual, all while it's timeless. It never gets old. Their love for music cannot be topped.
Food for thought:
Desire- Raheem Devaughn/ I Want You-Marvin Gaye
Bulletproof- Raheem/ What's going On?- Marvin
Sweet Tooth- Raheem/ Feel All My Love Inside- Marvin
Guess Who Loves You-Raheem/ Soon I'll Be Loving You- Marvin
Customer- Raheem/ Sexual Healing- Marvin

SN: Raheem did a cover to Marvin's "Pieces of Clay"

No comments: